We empower teachers and engage students by using popular music to create interdisciplinary, culturally responsive education materials for all 21st century classrooms.
Launched by Little Steven Van Zandt and the Founders Board of Bono, Jackson Browne, Martin Scorsese, and Bruce Springsteen, the Rock and Roll Forever Foundation’s TeachRock curriculum helps more than 40,000 teachers of all subjects keep the arts in the DNA of every school system while engaging students and improving academic outcomes.
TeachRock is providing essential support to educators, students, and families during Covid–a record number of new and returning users have downloaded nearly 500,000 TeachRock resources in 2020.
“Music connects us, even when we must be apart. TeachRock curriculum has always used music to foster connections between students and teachers, and we’re going to use that power now to help keep them engaged, emotionally healthy, and learning.”
– TeachRock Founder, Little Stevie Van Zandt
- What is the significance of Reconstruction and what does it reveal about the freedom that the post-Civil War constitutional amendments secured for African Americans?How does the Union occupation of Port Royal highlight the complex issues behind the Civil War?How does “the beat” of popular music reflect the histories of multiethnic populations and places?
- How did Westward Expansion and the idea of Manifest Destiny inform the image of the cowboy in American culture?Who is Dolores Huerta, what role did she play in the United Farm Workers movement, and how is she recognized today?Who is Dolores Huerta, what role did she play in the United Farm Workers movement, and how is she recognized today?How did popular music amplify the voices and experiences of Americans serving in the United States Armed Forces during the Vietnam War?
- What were the different reactions to songs and comments by Country musicians about the September 11th terrorist attacks versus the Iraq War?What is Afrofuturism and what are some of the cultural traditions and historical events that inspired and reinforced it?How did the Grateful Dead’s business practices create a dedicated fan culture and ensure the financial success of the group?How did the Grateful Dead reflect new ideas about life and society in the 1960’s?
- Who are the Wharf Rats, and how do they exemplify the practices of sobriety, peer support, and community building within a musical fan culture?How can math be used to better understand the Grateful Dead’s success?How has the image and history of the American cowboy been reclaimed in the 21st Century?How can the Beatles’ growth in popularity be demonstrated with math?