TeachRock improves students’ lives by bringing the sound, stories, and science of music to all classrooms.
Launched by Stevie Van Zandt and the Founders Board of Bono, Jackson Browne, Martin Scorsese, and Bruce Springsteen, TeachRock.org provides free, standards-aligned resources that use music to help K-12 students succeed in science, math, social studies, language arts, and more.
TeachRock is a nonprofit open educational resource with more than 60,000 registered educator users, and the TeachRock Partner District and Schools program works directly with more than 100 sites in 7 states.
TeachRock’s open-source resources are made possible by your donation. Thank you!
Watch the short video below to hear Founder Steven Van Zandt explain why TeachRock matters.
“Kids come to us with certain gifts intact–imagination, curiosity, energy, emotion, instincts. We should use those gifts instead of ignoring them, and integrating the Arts is the best way to do it”
– Stevie Van Zandt
Lesson Plan Collections
Use the search tools at the Lesson Collection page to quickly find material that is perfect for your classroom!
- What is Cumbia, and how do you play its traditional rhythms?What is Joropo, and how is it inspired by nature?How can the music of ChocQuibTown, from the Pacific Coast of Colombia, help students express and celebrate their cultural identity through Rap?What is Quitiplás, how does it incorporate the natural world, and how is it an example of polyrhythm?
- What is Ciranda, and how can group singing and dancing help us feel like a part of a community?
- How did activism by Black students challenge Jim Crow segregation during the Civil Rights Movement, and what unique role did music play as an organizing tool?What is the history behind Puerto Rican migration to New York City in the 1940s and 1950s, and how did Puerto Rican migration affect American Popular Music?How did music advance the goals and inform the tactics of the Civil Rights Movement?What was Westward Expansion, and what effect did it have on American Popular music?
- What are Aguinaldos, and how do children in Venezuela celebrate the winter holiday season known as La Navidad?How can our brains be shaped by our mindset, and how has a growth mindset helped Steve Aoki become one of the most successful DJs and record producers in the world?How do you use editing to create a final media product?How do you conduct and record an interview?
- How do you prepare for a successful and insightful interview?What role might music play in a person’s life, identity, and community?How can a logo help communicate a person or group’s unique personality?How did the bands X-Ray Spex, Bad Brains, and Death define Punk on their own terms?