Life Songs is an intergenerational media project organized into a four lesson unit plan. The unit concludes with students presenting their Life Songs Interview – a recorded interview led by the student with an adult who shares how music shaped their life.
Over the course of the unit, students develop their media project by:
- Taking part in a group singalong as well as identifying and discussing their favorite songs
- Preparing interview questions to ask another person about their favorite songs
- Conducting and recording a Life Songs Interview with an adult who shares how certain songs shaped their life
- Editing the raw footage of the Life Songs Interview into a final media product
- Presenting a finished version of the Life Songs Interview
Throughout the unit plan, students engage in social and emotional learning as they proceed through the media production process. SEL activities include interviews, Think-Pair-Share, personal reflection, and stations. Additionally, students complete a reflection worksheet on what they discovered and learned about themselves and other people while pursuing the project. By completing the project and reflecting on the process, students acquire beneficial technical skills and experience in media production as well as greater insight into the role music plays within a community.